Portable computers have a key role in people’s everyday life. They can store huge amount of data, enable faster processing and information and possess software that has built-in intelligence. These computers can do wonders with the collaboration of human intellect. With the capacity of computers to do many tasks and responds to them faster, they function into a level which is close to a human brain. Thus, computers can be used in different fields such as storage and data processing, engineering, networking, scheduling and planning, education and medicine. Portable computers in medicine have many uses, the following are:
Storage of Health Information and Patient Data
- Computers are excellent means of storage of health and patient information. In hospitals, they use computers and computer technologies to maintain medical records.
- Often, computers are very important to maintain detailed, specific and history of medical records. Generally, doctors require a list of personal information like the patient’s genetics, physical disabilities and ailments of the family, diagnosed diseases and their prescribed medicines. With so many patients to deal with everyday and their information, computers are very essential.
- Computers track the billing and prescription records. They can store data about the patient’s prescribed medicines including the list of medicines which cannot be used because of allergies.
- Computers are efficient storage of so many medical records since the medical field has a vast base of information. Computers are the best tools to house this vast information.
- Also, it is not limited to storing patients’ information but includes medical journals, important medical records, diagnosis and research papers and reference in electronic format.
Used in Surgical Procedures
- Computer software can be used in diagnosing different kinds of diseases. They can examine the internal organs of the human body because there are advanced and sophisticated computers that can be used.
- In some instances, complicated surgery operations are performed with computers. Computer-assisted Surgeries (CAS) are becoming more advanced and widely used in the area of medicine, combining the efforts of doctors’ medical expertise with the help of computer intelligence to give more accurate results and faster surgical procedures. In the conduct of CAS, before the scheduled operation, doctors’ create a model patient to be analyzed first and the procedure has the patient’s virtual image.
- Surgical operations can be performed by surgical robots, programmed by medical professionals or the surgical robot can assist doctors in the actual surgery.
True enough, portable computers play an important role in people’s everyday life and this has got through in the field of medicine. The above information tells everyone that computers are very useful in medicine and computer intelligence is working very well.
During orientations, medicine students may be asked to bring their laptops to the school’s IT group for evaluation. If the laptops do not conform to requirements, the students will then be recommended to buy new ones. The specifications that would be recommended would be good for online exams in the curriculum and tests within the clerkship managed by the National Board of Medical Examiners.
Computer industries are constantly rolling out new features and models. Selecting which computer to purchase can be a complicated process, but it would be an easier task if you can list some models and specifications that are most portable and have large-screen configuration.
So what computers are fit for students of medicine? Both Apple Macintosh and Windows-compatible computers are equally right for utility in medical schools. Apple computers allow the installation of Windows, if opted. Chromebooks and notebook computers don’t meet the minimum standards. A laptop computer is more recommended than a desktop computer. Laptops are quite handy for taking notes, and they can be easily carried to the library or to any remote clerkship location. The use of laptops is required in many of the class exercises.
However, you have to make sure that your laptop computer has a Video Graphics Array (VGA) adapter, which is an optional accessory, since you will be asked to plug your laptop in projectors and large displays to show your work. You will also be required to have a 21-inch or larger external display so a 1TB backup drive can support your studies of expansive online documents for your courses.
Be sure that your laptop has an Ethernet jack, with an 802.11 b/g/n wireless capacity. While staying in your private home, you can link to your university’s network services like online, web, and remotely accessed reference systems. You can opt for a high-speed DSL or cable modem for multimedia files to load fast.
The college of medicine is a hugely computerized college. Almost all (if not all) courses offer extensive reading assignments, online resources, and online tests. During clinical training, students use online information resources like MD Consultant, Evidence Essentials+, and MEDLINE to aid them in the management and diagnosis of patients.
The Library of the Health Sciences provides graduate students, medical students, and residents with station computer labs that are open many hours during the week and equipped with broad and updated software. Many of the colleges today have a state-of-the-art wireless network and facility for small group studies and carrels. So basically, the college provides wireless and computer networking inside classrooms and in study areas.
Almost all students in medical schools in different states within the US are required to bring to class a laptop with a working internet connection. Majority of the incoming students have computers during their undergraduate periods. If you’re planning on bringing your computer to medical school, be sure that it meets the standard requirements. If your computer is an old model, you probably need to get a new one.
However, if you are yet to buy a new computer to use in medical school, it is highly recommended that you find one that is prescribed for medicine students. Included in such recommendation is the right software for your computer. You will obtain enough information online as far as these devices are concerned.
Laptops with printer cost at least $1,200 to $2,600. You must also have a yearly budget of at least $200 for gadgets that may be integrated into your device for the purpose of meeting projects or making report. Free internet access is usually provided by colleges, and it just increases the reason for students to bring their laptops to school.
Computers have a major role to play in almost every field. They make possible the storage of big amount of information, allow fast information processing, and are built with intelligence that, when reinforced with human intelligence, can do marvelous things. Owing to their speed and intelligence, computers operate at a level that is almost similar to that of the brain. Computers are therefore deployed in various fields like data processing, engineering, planning, storage, networking, scheduling, education, health, and medicine.
There’s no doubt that computers are very important, and it is ever more important in the medical field. Portable computers are especially important because they can be used for
- surgical procedures,
- data storage,
- knowledge sharing,
- health information and storage of patient records,
- diagnostic tests.
Portable computers are a good means of storing patient-related information. Hospitals use computer systems in maintaining patient records. It’s often important to maintain records on the patient’s medical history. Doctors usually need information on a patient’s physical ailment and family history, those who have been diagnosed with a disease and prescribed with medicine. Such information may be stored in the computer’s database.
Computers can also track billing information and prescriptions. They can be utilized in storing information on medicines that are prescribed to patients, those that can’t be prescribed to a patient, and the ones that a patient may be allergic to.
Medicine has a huge database. Computer storage can serve as the ideal method for keeping medical information. Diagnosis papers, medical journals, research, important medical records, and reference books may also be stored in an electronic format.