Generally, computers must be replaced three to four years after. For portable computers in medical school, if you have one that is four years old or more, it is recommended to buy a new one to function in its optimum use. The configuration below is the minimum specifications of a portable computer and can be used for at least two years. If your unit does not meet the basic requirements, consider buying a new one.
For a basic minimum portable computer, the specifications must be the following:
- Intel Core Duo with a processor of 2.2 GHz
- 2 GB RAM
- The hard drive must be 250 GB
- Has a resolution of 1024×768 or higher
- 13” display
- 801.11g WiFi
- Inkjet printer
- VGA jack or adapter
- External monitor of 21”
- External drive must be at least 1 TB
In medical school, most portable computers of the students pass through IT review. If they do not pass the minimum requirements, the students are directed to buy a new one immediately. The specifications described above are the basic requirements as students are taking exams which are web based.
Recommended Hardware Configurations
Medical students prefer portable computers because they are light weight and can be brought anywhere. The recommended configurations of its hardware are the following:
- Macintosh 15”: MacBook Pro with the following features: widescreen display of 15.4’, Intel Quad Core i7, 2.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, hard drive of 500 GB, Fire Wire 800, 2.0 USB ports, double-layer slot loading SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme, VGA adapter, weighs 5.6 lbs and price starts from $1,800.
- Macintosh 13”: MacBook Pro which has the following features: widescreen display of 13”, Quad Core i5, 2.5 GHz, 4 GB RAM, hard drive of 500 GB, Fire Wire 800, 2.0 USB ports, double-layer Slot-loading SuperDrive, AirPort Extreme, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, VGA adapter, weighs 4.5 lbs and price ranges from $1,200.
There are some medical students who have a hard time choosing between Windows 7 or 8. In purchasing a new Windows portable computer, experts suggest Windows 7 Professional, has a 32 bit version and with RAM of 4GB. However, Windows 8 can be acceptable but it is more prone to troubles unlike Windows 7. Students must be aware that some computer stores sell only Windows 8, so they must look for stores that have a wide variety of selections. In addition, there are cases when students want to upgrade their computers to the latest version but IT experts do not recommend this because of many incompatibilities. If you are a user of Windows computer, you must have Windows 7 because Windows XP can be inadequate for medical school.
Today, especially in medicine, portable computers are very essential. However, they must have the recommended features to work well for your needs.